[Samba] default idmap range in samba4

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Thu Sep 26 04:24:45 MDT 2013

On Thu, 2013-09-26 at 12:07 +0200, Stéphane PURNELLE wrote:
> I not found the solution and samba team seems to have other think to do
> :-(

Hi
Assuming you have a Samba4 AD.

In Samba4 the default idmap range is set in idmap.ldb:
dn: CN=CONFIG
cn: CONFIG
lowerBound: 3000000
upperBound: 4000000
xidNumber: 3000055
distinguishedName: CN=CONFIG

This object holds the next free xidNumber which will correspond if you
add a new user or group.

However, I don't think that will be much use to you. If your aim is to
have the same uidNumber:gidNumber for users on all DC's then I'd
recommend storing the numbers in AD and using winbind, nss-ldapd or sssd
to retrieve them _from AD_. If you go for the latter, you remove the
need to know ranges completely.

To bypass the idmap, set
 idmap_ldb use:rfc2307 = Yes
in smb.conf and forget about the ranges.
HTH
Steve