[Samba] Compiling samba4 hangs at [1815/3978] Compiling librpc/ndr/ndr_basic.c

Edward Ashley ned at redmonkeysoftware.com
Thu Oct 25 04:24:16 MDT 2012

Hi,
Sorry I have been so quiet but has been difficult for me to get some time
to look into it. Basically this is what has happened for me so far (I am
running virtual machines on KVM for this):
I setup centos 6.3 x86_64 with all latest updates. I ran the yum install
which is recommended in the OS Requirements documentation. Grabbed a copy
of the samba-master and compiled and made it successfully. I provisioned a
domain and everything seemed fine, until I could not add a windows 7
machine to the domain. It kept coming back with an error message on the
windows machine whenever I tried to add it to the domain. I tried to debug
this and I think it came down to the internal dns server not being able to
update itself as there was no dns.keytab file or something like that.
Anyway I decided that I would make uninstall and make clean and start again
with a fresh compilation, so I started back at the ./configure.developer
stage and never got passed hanging at compiling ndr_basic.c. In the end I
thought I would scratch that setup and try on a fresh rebuild.
So I started again, installed Centos 6.3 x86_64, installed all updates, ran
the yum from the OS requirements and grabbed samba-master. This time it
hang straight away at compiling ndr_basic.c. So I tried a packaged version
which I think was RC4, same result.
To answer a few things that have so far been asked, yes kernel-devel is
installed and it doesn't make a difference. I have tried the gcc command
from the bin folder, no change. A make clean doesn't make any difference it
just starts from the beginning again.
I will try and debug more (trying the strace) but I don't know how quickly
I can to it.
Thanks
Ned

On 25 October 2012 11:01, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-10-25 at 10:40 +0100, Innocent Yevide wrote:
> > Strange, as I used centos 6.3 32 bit but have no this problem. I did
> > several times recompile and it was ok. have you done make clean before
> > recompiling may be?
>
> I would urge anyone who can reproduce this *not* to just blow things
> away with a make clean.  Somewhere here is either something very odd in
> a file being written out by Samba, or a gcc bug, or (perhaps) a ccache
> bug (if that's in use).
>
> We still want to pin down exactly what is going wrong where, if at all
> possible, so we can report it to the right upstream, or correct our
> code.
>
> Andrew Bartlett
>

> --
> Andrew Bartlett                                http://samba.org/~abartlet/
> Authentication Developer, Samba Team           http://samba.org
>

> --

Edward Ashley
Developer

e. ned at redmonkeysoftware.com
u. www.redmonkeysoftware.com
t. 0845 867 3849
f. 0845 867 4127

Red Monkey Software | Superior Software Solutions

Red Monkey Software Ltd, 24 The Layne, Elmer Sands, Bognor Regis, West Sussex. PO22 6JL
Registered in England and Wales no 5923420
Registered Office: 20 Springfield Road, Crawley, West Sussex, RH11 8AD