[Samba] Compiling samba4 hangs at [1815/3978] Compiling librpc/ndr/ndr_basic.c

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Oct 25 04:37:42 MDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-10-25 at 11:24 +0100, Edward Ashley wrote:
> Hi,
> Sorry I have been so quiet but has been difficult for me to get some
> time to look into it. Basically this is what has happened for me so
> far (I am running virtual machines on KVM for this):
> I setup centos 6.3 x86_64 with all latest updates. I ran the yum
> install which is recommended in the OS Requirements documentation.
> Grabbed a copy of the samba-master and compiled and made it
> successfully. I provisioned a domain and everything seemed fine, until
> I could not add a windows 7 machine to the domain. It kept coming back
> with an error message on the windows machine whenever I tried to add
> it to the domain. I tried to debug this and I think it came down to
> the internal dns server not being able to update itself as there was
> no dns.keytab file or something like that. Anyway I decided that I
> would make uninstall and make clean and start again with a fresh
> compilation, so I started back at the ./configure.developer stage and
> never got passed hanging at compiling ndr_basic.c. In the end I
> thought I would scratch that setup and try on a fresh rebuild.
> So I started again, installed Centos 6.3 x86_64, installed all
> updates, ran the yum from the OS requirements and grabbed
> samba-master. This time it hang straight away at compiling
> ndr_basic.c. So I tried a packaged version which I think was RC4, same
> result.
> To answer a few things that have so far been asked, yes kernel-devel
> is installed and it doesn't make a difference. I have tried the gcc
> command from the bin folder, no change. A make clean doesn't make any
> difference it just starts from the beginning again.

is ccache installed?  does a 'ccache -C' help?

Certainly let's work from the gcc command run from the bin folder, as
that avoids all the waf lines.

An interesting idea would be to see if a copy of this exact tree, run on
a different (currently successful) host succeeds for fails.

> I will try and debug more (trying the strace) but I don't know how
> quickly I can to it.
> Thanks
> Ned

Please do the strace of the gcc command.

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett