[Samba] Newbie Samba question from a (lowly) Mac user

Günter Kukkukk linux at kukkukk.com
Wed Jan 6 15:40:24 MST 2010

Am Mittwoch 06 Januar 2010 22:44:40 schrieb Felix Miata:
> On 2010/01/06 16:31 (GMT-0500) Mick Mueck composed:
> > Felix Miata wrote:
> >>Answer by OS/2 user:
> >>
> >>Actually, Samba is server only. Client for using Samba shares has been
> >> called CIFS (on Linux at least; previously SMB) for a couple of years or
> >> more. Have you looked for a precompiled and/or updated CIFS for Mac?
> >>
> >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cifs
> >
> > Thanks Felix - I'll try searching in the SMB/CIFS universe for the latest
> > Mac OS X compatible version.
>
> There was a typo in what I wrote. The old Linux name is SMBFS. SMB is the
> generic acronym for all this Samba/CIFS/SMBFS networking stuff. Also, read
> the URL I provided. According to it, the name change from smbfs to cifs
> didn't happen on Mac.

just some additional notes regarding some client smb/cifs kernel modules:

Linux:
  - smbfs (deprecated, no further development)
  - cifs    (actively developed)

Apple - Mac OS X:
  - smbfs
This module is _not_ related to the one developed for linux, it's
a separate implementation. Afaik - the source can be found here:
http://www.opensource.apple.com/source/smb/smb-348.7/

Cheers, Günter