[Samba] Newbie Samba question from a (lowly) Mac user

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 6 14:44:40 MST 2010

On 2010/01/06 16:31 (GMT-0500) Mick Mueck composed:

> Felix Miata wrote:

>>Answer by OS/2 user:

>>Actually, Samba is server only. Client for using Samba shares has been called
>>CIFS (on Linux at least; previously SMB) for a couple of years or more. Have
>>you looked for a precompiled and/or updated CIFS for Mac?

>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cifs

> Thanks Felix - I'll try searching in the SMB/CIFS universe for the latest Mac OS X compatible version.

There was a typo in what I wrote. The old Linux name is SMBFS. SMB is the
generic acronym for all this Samba/CIFS/SMBFS networking stuff. Also, read
the URL I provided. According to it, the name change from smbfs to cifs
didn't happen on Mac.
--
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious
people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/