OT: suggestion! (was Re: [Samba] !!ATTENTION NEWBIES!!)

Robert Adkins II radkins at impelind.com
Fri Feb 14 14:48:39 GMT 2003

Chris,

	I have read a few more of your responses. It appears that you
believe wholeheartedly that your more advanced questions are going
unanswered simply because of the volume of lower skilled questions.

	Well, how do you know that there are enough people on the
mailing list that have experienced the more advanced issues you are
experiencing? Then, out of those people, how many of those do you
believe will take their time to answer your questions? It is likely that
the number is quite low.

	While I don't consider myself an expert with Samba, I can answer
a few advanced questions and a glut of basic questions. When I was in
the midst of configuring the domain controllers we are using, I read and
answered dozens upon dozens of questions, newbie and otherwise. However,
since I now have my issues resolved, I answer far fewer questions then I
did previously.

	I believe that is very common amongst users that move beyond the
basics of Samba and most other services. Once they have the majority of
their issues resolved, they move one. So, it is likely that if all the
"Newbs" started researching from the get go and rarely ever posted to
the Samba list with their basic questions, you would still find your
more advanced questions go unanswered.

	That's just the way things go.

	I would like to apologize for the feather ruffling that I have
done regarding this issue. I didn't have all the information behind your
issue until I read a few of your posts after the flames I started
fanning. I wish you the best with finding the answers to your more
advanced questions. I know that many of mine go unanswered and that is
just the way it goes.

Regards,
Robert Adkins II
IT Manager/Buyer