[SCM] Samba Shared Repository - branch v3-0-test updated - release-3-0-29-4-gcf9ef3a

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Tue May 27 14:11:19 GMT 2008

Karolin Seeger wrote:
| On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 07:41:24AM -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
|> My only response is that if it is a bug fix credible
|> for 3.2.1, why not include it in 3.2.0?   I know that
|> any change involves risk, but these should be low risk
|> or obvious bug fixes anyways.  Anything that is risky or
|> questionable should be discussed and reviewed prior to
|> being checked in.  That is my philosophy at least.
|
| That's true for bug fixes, but there might be fixes
| for build warnings, new parameters and things like
| that which should be included in 3.2.1, but not in 3.2.0.
|
| I would like to pick up as little patches as possible
| after the first release candidate.

Like I said before., it's your call.

|> You can always "freeze" the v3-2-test tree a few days prior
|> to release for escrow.  Just announce that no more
|> fixes will be pulled into v3-2-stable at that point.
|> But developers should be confident that every thing in
|> v3-2-test has been merged to -stable.
|
| I already noticed how well freezing works! ;-)

You misunderstand.  You tried to freeze v3-2-test.  You can
freeze v3-2-stable because no one can check into that except
release managers.

| Let me give an example:
| Jeremy's (sorry, Jeremy ;-) 79bda4467f3:
| The commit message: Re-enable the evil "aio write
| behind" parameter.
|
| I would not like to pick that one up automatically, because
| I don't understand why I should re-enable an evil parameter.

That's why the RM has to trust developers to do the right
thing and why developers have to act responsibly.  If the release
is brown bagged because a developer screwed up, it's their fault.
Not yours.  This is your game so you have to run it however
you feel most comfortable.  I'm only offering advice.  The
end decision is yours and everyone will back you up on it.

cheers, jerry
- --
Likewise Software          ---------  http://www.likewisesoftware.com