[SCM] Samba Shared Repository - branch v3-0-test updated - release-3-0-29-4-gcf9ef3a

Karolin Seeger ks at sernet.de
Tue May 27 13:43:09 GMT 2008

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 07:41:24AM -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> My only response is that if it is a bug fix credible
> for 3.2.1, why not include it in 3.2.0?   I know that
> any change involves risk, but these should be low risk
> or obvious bug fixes anyways.  Anything that is risky or
> questionable should be discussed and reviewed prior to
> being checked in.  That is my philosophy at least.

That's true for bug fixes, but there might be fixes for build warnings,
new parameters and things like that which should be included in 3.2.1, but
not in 3.2.0.

I would like to pick up as little patches as possible after the first
release candidate.

> You can always "freeze" the v3-2-test tree a few days prior
> to release for escrow.  Just announce that no more
> fixes will be pulled into v3-2-stable at that point.
> But developers should be confident that every thing in
> v3-2-test has been merged to -stable.

I already noticed how well freezing works! ;-)

Let me give an example:
Jeremy's (sorry, Jeremy ;-) 79bda4467f3:
The commit message: Re-enable the evil "aio write behind" parameter.

I would not like to pick that one up automatically, because I don't
understand why I should re-enable an evil parameter. That's why I asked
Jeremy why this should be in v3-2-stable. What I mean is, the effort for
the developers is the same as saying: Karolin, pick that one up, because...

I would feel a little bit more comfortable with this procedure until 3.2.0 is
out.

Karolin

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.SerNet.DE, mailto: Info @ SerNet.DE