samba4: machine and user accounts

Mike Wilkinson mwilkinson at bigbangdigitalstudios.com
Thu May 22 18:06:42 GMT 2008

Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>>     ldb: Unable to find backend for 'ldap://xxxx'
>>
>> I'm assuming it's local setup, I've searched for info on smbscript but
>> found nothing more than a few irc logs that appear to have gone more
>> smoothly. smbscript isn't installed in the target directory, I've added
>> .../source/bin to the path. Any clues on what environment I need to set
>> to have it find an ldap backend.
>>

> This *should* (I am assured) be fixed in current GIT.  Do a new build,
> and 'make install'.  If that doesn't work, then clean out your build
> tree and do a new build and 'make install'..
Rsynced 4.0.0alpha4-GIT-326b69b from scratch a short while ago, trashed
/usr/local/samba, ./configured, make, make install, no change in the
thrown error.

Tried the python version (the one that gets installed in
/usr/local/samba), set PYTHONPATH to
/usr/local/samba/lib/python2.4/site-packages and that throws

    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "samba/bin/minschema.py", line 9, in ?
        sys.path.insert(0, "bin/python")
    NameError: name 'sys' is not defined

I know nothing of python, is this some kind of python version dependancy?

Is there any smbscript dependancy on openldap libraries (I'm emerging
them now to test).