samba4: machine and user accounts

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri May 23 02:01:50 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 14:06 -0400, Mike Wilkinson wrote:
> Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> >>     ldb: Unable to find backend for 'ldap://xxxx'
> >>
> >> I'm assuming it's local setup, I've searched for info on smbscript but
> >> found nothing more than a few irc logs that appear to have gone more
> >> smoothly. smbscript isn't installed in the target directory, I've added
> >> .../source/bin to the path. Any clues on what environment I need to set
> >> to have it find an ldap backend.
> >>

> > This *should* (I am assured) be fixed in current GIT.  Do a new build,
> > and 'make install'.  If that doesn't work, then clean out your build
> > tree and do a new build and 'make install'..
> Rsynced 4.0.0alpha4-GIT-326b69b from scratch a short while ago, trashed
> /usr/local/samba, ./configured, make, make install, no change in the
> thrown error.

Sorry about the bum steer - it turns out this remains a problem with the
current GIT tree.

If you run:

[abartlet at naomi source]$ cd //data/samba/samba4/prefix/modules/ldb/
[abartlet at naomi ldb]$ ln -s ildap.so ldap.so
[abartlet at naomi ldb]$ ln -s ildap.so ldapi.so
[abartlet at naomi ldb]$ ln -s ildap.so ldaps.so

Then this will fix it, until you run 'make install' again.  Jelmer
promises to fix this sometime soon...

> Tried the python version (the one that gets installed in
> /usr/local/samba), set PYTHONPATH to
> /usr/local/samba/lib/python2.4/site-packages and that throws
>
>     Traceback (most recent call last):
>       File "samba/bin/minschema.py", line 9, in ?
>         sys.path.insert(0, "bin/python")
>     NameError: name 'sys' is not defined
>
> I know nothing of python, is this some kind of python version dependancy?

No, I think that this is a 'minschema isn't tested, so it broke'
dependency...  I hope Jelmer can comment further.

> Is there any smbscript dependancy on openldap libraries (I'm emerging
> them now to test).

There is no dependency on OpenLDAP

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.