samba4: machine and user accounts

Mike Wilkinson mwilkinson at bigbangdigitalstudios.com
Tue May 20 21:48:26 GMT 2008

>> We'd got a bunch of error logs regarding missing local user accounts
>> when using the tarball 4a3, and noticed these went away with the rsync'd
>> version "4.0.0alpha4-GIT-0c09d28", but wanted to be sure.
>>

> Hmm, can you post them so I can give a more informed response?

sorry I had to provision another vm to test alongside the working one,
and yesterday was a holiday, oh joy.

[Tue May 20 17:30:06 2008 EDT, 0
dsdb/common/sidmap.c:185:sidmap_sid_to_unixuid()]
sAMAccountName 'BLAH$' for sid
S-1-5-21-3121014420-4053203006-3203954893-1005 does not exist as a local
user
[Tue May 20 17:30:06 2008 EDT, 0
dsdb/common/sidmap.c:185:sidmap_sid_to_unixuid()]
sAMAccountName 'mwilkinson' for sid
S-1-5-21-3121014420-4053203006-3203954893-1007 does not exist as a local
user

This with the released 4.0.0.alpha3, configured with no options,
provisioned with:
bin/smbpython ./setup/provision --realm=testing.local --domain=TESTING
--adminpass=x --server-role='domain controller'

and run with smbd -D

the machine was joined, rebooted, ADUC ran and the user created, logout,
login, then these are thrown in smbd.log. A similar error for the
machine account was thrown earlier of course when logging in as admin.
> This very much depends how much you are willing/able to work with me on
> things that come up, and what features you need.
>
> Getting the data syncronised across *should* be possible (with the new
> 'net vampire' command), but we might need to work on some things
> manually (that command does not create backlinks - like memberOf, but if
> we dump/restore from LDIF, we can probably fix that, or I can finish the
> code).
>
> Similarly, you will no doubt find other issues.  Even if you decide is
> isn't viable, trying it out (perhaps only to pre-production) would give
> me *very* valuable information that I need to help push Samba4 towards a
> beta.

I'd be happy to work with you if you have the time, although from what
I've tested so far the auth is working, the GPOs are working, the only
things we miss are replication (and given that the SBS doesn't do that
we've already reached parity), and exchange attributes in ADUC.

I think we're going to start from fresh regarding the data, so no need
to do any migration.