samba4: machine and user accounts

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat May 17 11:02:04 GMT 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-16 at 21:58 -0400, Mike Wilkinson wrote:
> Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > Unlike Samba3, Samba4 does not use local unix accounts in this way.
> > Instead (unless a specific map is setup) they are allocated new UIDs and
> > GIDs from a pool, and these will be available to posix via winbind.
> >
> > In short, it is best *not* to have matching users in /etc/passwd, as it
> > will just create confusion.  This applies to Samba4 alpha3 and beyond.
> >
> Hello Andrew,
>
> Thanks.
>
> We'd got a bunch of error logs regarding missing local user accounts
> when using the tarball 4a3, and noticed these went away with the rsync'd
> version "4.0.0alpha4-GIT-0c09d28", but wanted to be sure.

Hmm, can you post them so I can give a more informed response?

> Can I ask you a sort of related follow up?
>
> If you had a SBS server that's looking unhealthy, would you consider a
> samba4 DC in its current state as a workable replacement for the
> auth/GPO role?

This very much depends how much you are willing/able to work with me on
things that come up, and what features you need.

Getting the data syncronised across *should* be possible (with the new
'net vampire' command), but we might need to work on some things
manually (that command does not create backlinks - like memberOf, but if
we dump/restore from LDIF, we can probably fix that, or I can finish the
code).

Similarly, you will no doubt find other issues.  Even if you decide is
isn't viable, trying it out (perhaps only to pre-production) would give
me *very* valuable information that I need to help push Samba4 towards a
beta.

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.