samba4: machine and user accounts

Mike Wilkinson mwilkinson at bigbangdigitalstudios.com
Sat May 17 01:58:41 GMT 2008

Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> Unlike Samba3, Samba4 does not use local unix accounts in this way.
> Instead (unless a specific map is setup) they are allocated new UIDs and
> GIDs from a pool, and these will be available to posix via winbind.
>
> In short, it is best *not* to have matching users in /etc/passwd, as it
> will just create confusion.  This applies to Samba4 alpha3 and beyond.

Hello Andrew,

Thanks.

We'd got a bunch of error logs regarding missing local user accounts
when using the tarball 4a3, and noticed these went away with the rsync'd
version "4.0.0alpha4-GIT-0c09d28", but wanted to be sure.

Can I ask you a sort of related follow up?

If you had a SBS server that's looking unhealthy, would you consider a
samba4 DC in its current state as a workable replacement for the
auth/GPO role?