sync prob with big files

Kevin Korb kmk at sanitarium.net
Fri Dec 9 09:32:28 MST 2011

On 12/09/11 10:18, fuzzy_4711 wrote:
> Thanks again for your time.
>
>> What is renaming the file?  Your rsync command line implies that
>> you are syncing directories.  That means the file names should be
>> the same.  That is not the format of rsync's temporary file
>> names.
>
> What is the conclusion, if this is not rysnc's temp file name? Does
> it mean, the NAS file system is causing the prob? On the other
> hand, bacula is able to write those big files, at least append as
> long as it reaches this size.

You pasted an ls -l of two completely different file names.  When you
tell rsync to sync a directory it does not rename file foo to file
bar.  The same file names should be on both the source and target.
Unless something else renamed the file.
If rsync were to crash while running it might leave a temp file but
that would be in the form of .originalfilename.randomstring not some
completely different file name.

> This is what I get using "echo" together with --dry-run, just to
> show you what exactly happens. According to the manual this means
> "copy the contents of this directory".
>
> rsync -az --dry-run --omit-dir-times --size-only --numeric-ids
> --delete --bwlimit=5000 /nas01_backup/backup/
> /mnt/NAS_192.168.1.8_FOR_SYNC/backup_sync_from_1.9_to_1.8
>
> The dry-run btw is showing correctly what is expected.

>>> Even rsync quits with exit code 1, no log entry in
>>> /var/log/messages for rsync.
>>
>> Rsync would not log there.  Any errors would simply output via
>> stdout. IOW, to the terminal where you ran the rsync.  If it is
>> running from cron then any output should be emailed to the owner
>> of the cron job.
>
> Thanks for this explaination. It will be running by cron in the
> future. For testing right now, I ssh to the box and start it as
> root user like that: ./sync_NAS_devices.sh & So it won't terminate
> when I log off. Do you have an idea where logging is going using it
> this way? Could it better be started that way to see any errors?:
> ./sync_NAS_devices.sh >> /var/log/rsync.log 2>&1 &

If you are running it that way it probably did exit when you logged
off.  Look into nohup, screen, or tmux.  Either way, unless you were
redirecting errors to a log file they went nowhere once you logged off.

> Thanks
>
> -fuz

- --
	Kevin Korb			Phone:    (407) 252-6853
	Systems Administrator		Internet:
	FutureQuest, Inc.		Kevin at FutureQuest.net  (work)
	Orlando, Florida		kmk at sanitarium.net (personal)
	Web page:			http://www.sanitarium.net/
	PGP public key available on web site.