sync prob with big files

fuzzy_4711 fuzzy_4711 at gmx.de
Fri Dec 9 08:18:26 MST 2011

Thanks again for your time.

> What is renaming the file?  Your rsync command line implies that you
> are syncing directories.  That means the file names should be the
> same.  That is not the format of rsync's temporary file names.

What is the conclusion, if this is not rysnc's temp file name? Does it mean,
the NAS file system is causing the prob? On the other hand, bacula is
able to write those big files, at least append as long as it reaches
this size.

This is what I get using "echo" together with --dry-run,
just to show you what exactly happens. According to the
manual this means "copy the contents of this directory".

rsync -az --dry-run --omit-dir-times --size-only --numeric-ids --delete
--bwlimit=5000 /nas01_backup/backup/
/mnt/NAS_192.168.1.8_FOR_SYNC/backup_sync_from_1.9_to_1.8

The dry-run btw is showing correctly what is expected.

> >> Also, capture any error that rsync outputs (this is actually
> >> easier without the -v).
> > Even rsync quits with exit code 1, no log entry in
> > /var/log/messages for rsync.
>
> Rsync would not log there.  Any errors would simply output via stdout.
>  IOW, to the terminal where you ran the rsync.  If it is running from
> cron then any output should be emailed to the owner of the cron job.

Thanks for this explaination. It will be running by cron in the future.
For testing right now, I ssh to the box and start it as root user like that:
./sync_NAS_devices.sh &
So it won't terminate when I log off.
Do you have an idea where logging is going using it this way?
Could it better be started that way to see any errors?:
./sync_NAS_devices.sh >> /var/log/rsync.log 2>&1 &

Thanks

-fuz