Rsync job exiting with error "unexpected tag 3 [sender]"

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Tue Jul 22 19:29:08 GMT 2008

Alejandro, please CC the rsync list (rsync at lists.samba.org) in replies
so that your messages are archived and others can help you.

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 14:26 -0300, Alejandro Celery wrote:
> Matt McCutchen escribió:
> > On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 09:20 -0300, Alejandro Celery wrote:
> > > I´m rSyncing three folders from my main server to my backup server.
> > > Main is Ubuntu 7.10 64 bit and backup is Ubuntu 6.10 32 bit. Both are
> > > Rsync 3.0.2. Please advise me if there any other debug information I
> > > should provide.
> > > I get this output:
> > > 	building file list ... done
> > > 	Attachments_Redmine.tar.gz
> > > 	BackupRedmine.sql
> > > 	calidad/
> > > 	calidad/DESVIOS QQ 1.2 ADVANTEK 2000.mde
> > > 	unexpected tag 3 [sender]
> > > 	rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(825) [sender=2.6.9]
> > >
> > > The command line is rsync -av --stats /datos/sambashares/* neo::samba
> > > (the other two are the same except por the source and dest module).
> >
> > There was an "unexpected tag 3" bug that could occur when pushing files
> > to a daemon older than 2.6.9:
> >
> > http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2006-May/015361.html
> >
> > You claim that both sides have rsync 3.0.2 but the error message
> > indicates that the client is 2.6.9, so double-check both versions.  If
> > the daemon is 2.6.9 or newer and you still get the error, there may be
> > another bug.
> >
> Matt, i installed both daemons from source downloaded from the rsync

Technically, only the receiver is a daemon; the sender is the client.

>  homepage. The output of rsync --version on both servers is attached
> below. I was also confused by the error message stating that the
> client is 2.6.9, what can you advise me to do?
> Thanks!

On each end, are you certain that the copy of rsync whose version you're
checking is the same one involved in the file transfer?  For the client,
prepend "rsync --version &&" to the command line.  For the daemon, look
in its log file (or syslog in /var/log/messages if you didn't specify a
log file) for a message of the form "rsyncd version X.X.X starting".  If
you don't get the version you want, make sure that your custom-built
rsync is first on the $PATH of the program that is running the client or
starting the daemon.

Matt