Rsync job exiting with error "unexpected tag 3 [sender]"

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Tue Jul 22 15:18:18 GMT 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 09:20 -0300, Alejandro Celery wrote:
> I´m rSyncing three folders from my main server to my backup server.
> Main is Ubuntu 7.10 64 bit and backup is Ubuntu 6.10 32 bit. Both are
> Rsync 3.0.2. Please advise me if there any other debug information I
> should provide.
> I get this output:
> 	building file list ... done
> 	Attachments_Redmine.tar.gz
> 	BackupRedmine.sql
> 	calidad/
> 	calidad/DESVIOS QQ 1.2 ADVANTEK 2000.mde
> 	unexpected tag 3 [sender]
> 	rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(825) [sender=2.6.9]
>
> The command line is rsync -av --stats /datos/sambashares/* neo::samba
> (the other two are the same except por the source and dest module).

There was an "unexpected tag 3" bug that could occur when pushing files
to a daemon older than 2.6.9:

http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2006-May/015361.html

You claim that both sides have rsync 3.0.2 but the error message
indicates that the client is 2.6.9, so double-check both versions.  If
the daemon is 2.6.9 or newer and you still get the error, there may be
another bug.

Matt