Rsync job exiting with error "unexpected tag 3 [sender]"

Alejandro Celery acelery at pentatek.com
Tue Jul 22 12:20:25 GMT 2008

Hello everyone. I have this issue:

I´m rSyncing three folders from my main server to my backup server. Main is Ubuntu 7.10 64 bit and backup is Ubuntu 6.10 32 bit. Both are Rsync 3.0.2. Please advise me if there any other debug information I should provide.
I get this output:
	building file list ... done
	Attachments_Redmine.tar.gz
	BackupRedmine.sql
	calidad/
	calidad/DESVIOS QQ 1.2 ADVANTEK 2000.mde
	unexpected tag 3 [sender]
	rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(825) [sender=2.6.9]

The command line is rsync -av --stats /datos/sambashares/* neo::samba (the other two are the same except por the source and dest module).

The module definition is as follows:
[samba]

        comment = Shares de Samba, replicados desde morfeo por si lo tenemos que suplantar
        path = /disco2/sambashares
        use chroot = no
        lock file = /var/lock/rsyncd
        read only = no
        list = yes
# I use 0 for uid and gid so i can keep ownership and permissions. Perhaps there is a better way to do this?
	uid = 0
        gid = 0
        strict modes = yes
        ignore errors = no
        ignore nonreadable = yes
        transfer logging = yes
        timeout = 600
        refuse options = checksum
        dont compress = *.gz *.tgz *.zip *.z *.rpm *.deb *.iso *.bz2 *.tbz

I appreciate any help. Thanks!
Regards,
Alex from Argentina

--