Rsync job exiting with error "unexpected tag 3 [sender]"

Alejandro Celery acelery at pentatek.com
Thu Jul 24 12:19:22 GMT 2008

Matt McCutchen escribió:
> Alejandro, please CC the rsync list (rsync at lists.samba.org) in replies
> so that your messages are archived and others can help you.
>
> On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 14:26 -0300, Alejandro Celery wrote:
>
>> Matt McCutchen escribió:

>>> There was an "unexpected tag 3" bug that could occur when pushing files
>>> to a daemon older than 2.6.9:
>>>
>>> http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2006-May/015361.html
>>>
>>> You claim that both sides have rsync 3.0.2 but the error message
>>> indicates that the client is 2.6.9, so double-check both versions.  If
>>> the daemon is 2.6.9 or newer and you still get the error, there may be
>>> another bug.
>>>

>> Matt, i installed both daemons from source downloaded from the rsync
>>

> Technically, only the receiver is a daemon; the sender is the client.
>

>>  homepage. The output of rsync --version on both servers is attached
>> below. I was also confused by the error message stating that the
>> client is 2.6.9, what can you advise me to do?
>> Thanks!
>>

> On each end, are you certain that the copy of rsync whose version you're
> checking is the same one involved in the file transfer?  For the client,
> prepend "rsync --version &&" to the command line.  For the daemon, look
> in its log file (or syslog in /var/log/messages if you didn't specify a
> log file) for a message of the form "rsyncd version X.X.X starting".  If
> you don't get the version you want, make sure that your custom-built
> rsync is first on the $PATH of the program that is running the client or
> starting the daemon.
>
> Matt

Excellent! You were right on the spot.
Both ubuntu boxes installed 2.6.8 and 2.6.9 as packaged by ubuntu. I
installed 3.0.2 from source but was still getting 2.6.8 and 2.6.9. So
now instead of just calling rsync I call the full /usr/local/bin/rsync
and get 3.0.2.
I will re-run my backups with this setup and post again with the results.
Thanks a lot!

Regards,
Alex

--