[clug] Ideas for future talks (and who wants to talk at nextm onth's meeting?)

Andrew Pollock andrew-clug at andrew.net.au
Wed Mar 30 11:57:03 GMT 2005

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 05:57:17PM +1000, Kim Holburn wrote:

> On 2005 Mar 30, , at 12:39 PM, Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au wrote:
>
> >Andrew Pollock [mailto:andrew-clug at andrew.net.au]
> >
> >>I was thinking, rather than the usual email asking if people want to
> >>talk
> >>at next month's meeting, I'd also ask what people would like to hear
> >>about.
> >
> >I recently set up a new database server and discovered that once you
> >add filesystem formats, LVM and RAID into the mix, there's a lot of
> >possible combinations to be considered. Currently my new database
> >server
> >has ReiserFS sitting on two LVM pools with the database sitting on
> >the pool of hardware RAID-5.
> >
> >I am also considering mirroring my media server by sticking a 200 Gb
> >disk in a spare Ultra5 and using rsync to replicate any errors that
> >develop in the original data.
> >
> >Those cheap SATA RAID1/0 controllers seem to be a waste of effort.
>
> Actually we have been running a major file system here using LVM and
> have had a lot of bother with it.  Unfortunately while it might be OK
> for home use there don't seem to be any warnings about serious LVM use
> out there in google land but I have talked to other people who have
> said it's just not ready for critical business applications.  The
> trouble is it sits underneath your file system so getting rid of it's a
> bit of a nightmare.

Care to share your horror stories? I'm a big fan of LVM, and would tend to
advocate it anywhere (I have plans to give a talk about LVM when I get a
chance to make some slides). I'm interested to hear about any badness...

--
linux.conf.au 2005   -  http://linux.conf.au/  -  Birthplace of Tux
April 18th to 23rd   -  http://linux.conf.au/  -       LINUX