[clug] Ideas for future talks (and who wants to talk at next month's meeting?)

David Price david.price at anu.edu.au
Thu Mar 31 00:13:03 GMT 2005

Andrew Pollock wrote:
> Care to share your horror stories? I'm a big fan of LVM, and would tend to
> advocate it anywhere (I have plans to give a talk about LVM when I get a
> chance to make some slides). I'm interested to hear about any badness...

The system is a file server with about 400 users' home directories on
it.  It's running a 2.4 kernel with LVM 1.  It's possible the newer
version of LVM with the 2.6 kernel might fix the problem, but at this
stage I think the plan is to move away from LVM altogether, since we
don't really need it.  Now on to the problem...

Intense disk access to an LVM volume seems to block other access.
Writing a file on an LVM volume causes client machines to get NFS
timeouts.  Writing a file to a non-LVM partition on the same RAID has no
effect.  I think reading has the same issue, but didn't test it.

The end result is that the logs on all the desktops are filled with
messages saying "kernel: nfs: server .... not responding, still trying",
then, usually about a second later, "kernel: nfs: server .... OK".  If a
disk intensive job is run on the server, users' machines can become
completely unusable for the time the job is running.

It's as though the LVM layer only allows a limited number of concurrent
accesses.

As I mentioned above, it's possible that LVM 2 fixes this, since I get
the impression that the way it works is fairly different.

--
http://dmprice.com/