[clug] Ideas for future talks (and who wants to talk at nextm onth's meeting?)

Paul Wayper paulway at mabula.net
Wed Mar 30 09:15:46 GMT 2005

At 05:57 PM 30/03/2005, you wrote:

>On 2005 Mar 30, , at 12:39 PM, Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au wrote:
>
>>Andrew Pollock [mailto:andrew-clug at andrew.net.au]
>>
>>>I was thinking, rather than the usual email asking if people want to talk
>>>at next month's meeting, I'd also ask what people would like to hear about.
>>
>>I recently set up a new database server and discovered that once you
>>add filesystem formats, LVM and RAID into the mix, there's a lot of
>>possible combinations to be considered. Currently my new database server
>>has ReiserFS sitting on two LVM pools with the database sitting on
>>the pool of hardware RAID-5.
>>
>>I am also considering mirroring my media server by sticking a 200 Gb
>>disk in a spare Ultra5 and using rsync to replicate any errors that
>>develop in the original data.
>>
>>Those cheap SATA RAID1/0 controllers seem to be a waste of effort.
>
>Actually we have been running a major file system here using LVM and have
>had a lot of bother with it.  Unfortunately while it might be OK for home
>use there don't seem to be any warnings about serious LVM use out there in
>google land but I have talked to other people who have said it's just not
>ready for critical business applications.  The trouble is it sits
>underneath your file system so getting rid of it's a bit of a nightmare.

I'm really keen on talking about this idea.  I've been working on ideas for
a crossover between the staticness and big budget requirements for RAID and
the unreliability of JBOD (i.e. something that combines the worst features
of both :-).  Of course, I wouldn't know how to start writing anything, and
I may be barking up the wrong tree entirely; maybe some clever use of RAID
and LVM and file systems that I don't know about will provide the
combination of scalability and reliability I'm looking for.  So it'd be
great to have a general discussion on this.

One thing that might be an interesting discussion topic is "new stuff in
computing".  A conversation where people can hear about what other people
have heard about new technologies.  Sharing good or bad experiences with
new hardware and software, especially for the many of us who build machines
on their own (and, for some reason, enjoy it :-) is invaluable.  What do
you think?

I've got lots of other ideas for topics - a "How To Get MythTV Running"
session would have been priceless to me two months ago :-) - but maybe
that's enough from me for now.

Have fun,

Paul

SigClean 1.5a prevents all errors in transcription, transmission, and
reception of eMail, destroys sig and email viruses, and stops flames.
Report all bugs to the author. SigClean is FreeWare. (c)1998-2004 PJW