[clug] Ideas for future talks (and who wants to talk at nextm onth's meeting?)

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at anu.edu.au
Wed Mar 30 07:57:17 GMT 2005

On 2005 Mar 30, , at 12:39 PM, Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au wrote:

> Andrew Pollock [mailto:andrew-clug at andrew.net.au]
>
>> I was thinking, rather than the usual email asking if people want to
>> talk
>> at next month's meeting, I'd also ask what people would like to hear
>> about.
>
> I recently set up a new database server and discovered that once you
> add filesystem formats, LVM and RAID into the mix, there's a lot of
> possible combinations to be considered. Currently my new database
> server
> has ReiserFS sitting on two LVM pools with the database sitting on
> the pool of hardware RAID-5.
>
> I am also considering mirroring my media server by sticking a 200 Gb
> disk in a spare Ultra5 and using rsync to replicate any errors that
> develop in the original data.
>
> Those cheap SATA RAID1/0 controllers seem to be a waste of effort.

Actually we have been running a major file system here using LVM and
have had a lot of bother with it.  Unfortunately while it might be OK
for home use there don't seem to be any warnings about serious LVM use
out there in google land but I have talked to other people who have
said it's just not ready for critical business applications.  The
trouble is it sits underneath your file system so getting rid of it's a
bit of a nightmare.

Kim
--
Kim Holburn
Network Manager,  National ICT Australia Ltd.

Use ISO 8601 dates [YYYY-MM-DD]
http://www.saqqara.demon.co.uk/datefmt.htm
                           -- Lloyd Biggle, Jr. Analog, Apr 1961