CTDB and per record persistency

Martin Schwenke martin at meltin.net
Wed Jan 3 06:50:12 UTC 2024

Hi,

On Wed, 27 Dec 2023 07:40:57 +0000, 陈 方进 via samba-technical
<samba-technical at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hello , I learned from Ralph Böhme's speech on persistent handles at
> the 2018 SambaXP conference that amitay had proposed an idea
> regarding the persistence of each record in CTDB.

> I'm curious to know if there has been any progress since then.

As far as I am aware, there hasn't been any progress on a new CTDB
database model to support persistent handles, with high performance.

> If not, are there any methods to help CTDB seamlessly handle node
> failures, preventing failures in the replication of files?

I'm a little bit confused by this question, because I don't understand
how "replication of files" comes into it.  It is really about
replicating file handle state.

I am seeing things like
https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/-/merge_requests/3461 (which I will
review very soon :-).  Mention of witness protocol may indicate that
someone is working on persistent handles... but I'll leave it to others
who know... rather than guessing myself.

peace & happiness,
martin