Failed to join domain with un-interpolated string ...

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Sep 5 20:35:11 UTC 2023

On Tue, Sep 05, 2023 at 10:37:59AM -0700, Richard Sharpe via samba-technical wrote:
>Hi folks,
>
>I am seeing the following errors when I inject delays into certain
>SAMR functions during domain join:
>
>"Failed to join domain: failed to join domain 'test.qa' over rpc:
>{Device Timeout} The specified I/O operation on %hs was not completed
>before the time-out period expired."
>
>However, the '%hs' is not being replaced with an actual message.
>
>Is this expected?

It's a bug in the error text here:

libcli/util/ntstatus_err_table.txt:

"{Device Timeout} The specified I/O operation on %hs was not completed before the time-out period expired."

There are several '%' characters in these error strings, which
aren't being matched with appropriate values when
called from get_friendly_werror_msg(werr).

So yeah, expected, but also yeah, bug :-).