New option for samba-tool dns zonecreate

Björn Baumbach bb at sernet.de
Thu Jun 15 14:38:50 UTC 2023

Hi!

I'm planning to add an additional parameter to the samba-tool zonecreate
command. Currently there is no option to create new zones in the forest
dns directory partition via samba-tool.

I would like to add a parameter to choose between "domain" or "forest",
which defaults to "domain" (to create new zones in the dns domain
partition). But I'm not sure how I should name this option.

In some commands we use "NC" for naming context, like in "samba-tool drs
replicate". For the "drs uptodateness" command is a parameter
"--partition" to choose a specific partition.

The DNS GUI in Windows 11 lets the user choose the "Active Directory
Zone Replication Scope" with the options "To all DNS server running on
domain controller in this forest" or "... domain".

In the code there are two flags DNS_DP_FOREST_DEFAULT and
DNS_DP_DOMAIN_DEFAULT. So maybe something like
--dns-direcory-partition=domain|forest?

What do you suggest, how should I call the new option?

Best regards,
Björn

--
SerNet GmbH - Bahnhofsallee 1b - 37081 Goettingen
phone: +49.551.370000.0 - web: https://sernet.com
http://www.sernet.com - mailto:contact at sernet.com
AG Goettingen HRB2816, CEO: J.Loxen, CFO: R. Jung
data privacy policy https://www.sernet.de/privacy