increased `make test` logging in syslog with "debug syslog format = always"

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jul 25 05:42:45 UTC 2023

On Tue, 2023-07-25 at 17:19 +1200, Douglas Bagnall via samba-technical
wrote:
> Since 83fe7a0316d3e5867a56cfdc51ec17f36ea03889 and
> ca7b7bde3915a821b1b9911abf18d2d441665382, aka
> https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/-/merge_requests/3034
>  ('Add and use in
> selftest "debug syslog format = always", which logs to stdout in
> syslog style'),
> I see marked increase in the number of samba lines in /var/log/syslog
> (or
> journalctl for the newfangled).
>
> Now, those commits ARE doing something useful, but what I can't quite
> work out
> is whether the leakage is a necessary part of the usefulness, a
> regrettable but
> difficult to avoid side-effect, or something we could fix in a flash.
>
> Does someone now?

My intention was only to change the output format, not the destination,
so as to get more information (time and host etc) in the logs as the
previous logging to 'stdout' lost a lot of information.

Samba Team Lead                https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba
Catalyst.Net Ltd

Proudly developing Samba for Catalyst.Net Ltd - a Catalyst IT group
company

Samba Development and Support: https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba

Catalyst IT - Expert Open Source Solutions