increased `make test` logging in syslog with "debug syslog format = always"

Douglas Bagnall douglas.bagnall at catalyst.net.nz
Tue Jul 25 05:19:13 UTC 2023

Since 83fe7a0316d3e5867a56cfdc51ec17f36ea03889 and
ca7b7bde3915a821b1b9911abf18d2d441665382, aka
https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/-/merge_requests/3034 ('Add and use in
selftest "debug syslog format = always", which logs to stdout in syslog style'),
I see marked increase in the number of samba lines in /var/log/syslog (or
journalctl for the newfangled).

For example, this:

$ make test TESTS=samba.tests.auth
$ journalctl -S '3 minutes ago' | grep samba | wc -l
72

while the [pseudo] old behaviour is:

$ git revert ca7b7bde3915a821b1b9911abf18d2d441665382
$ make test TESTS=samba.tests.auth
$ journalctl -S '3 minutes ago' | grep samba | wc -l
0

That infinity-fold increase is not universal: the old behaviour was to
occasionally log copyright lines when a test server starts.

It is only disconcerting for me -- I never run Samba for real, so I'm not fooled
as to where the lines came from -- but I like to imagine better test isolation.

Now, those commits ARE doing something useful, but what I can't quite work out
is whether the leakage is a necessary part of the usefulness, a regrettable but
difficult to avoid side-effect, or something we could fix in a flash.

Does someone now?

cheers,
Douglas