Building Samba master from a few days ago on CentOS 8.5 runs into a weird Python problem

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Aug 21 03:36:43 UTC 2023

On Sun, 2023-08-20 at 20:08 -0700, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 20, 2023 at 7:44 PM Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org>
> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2023-08-16 at 18:50 -0700, Richard Sharpe via samba-
> > technical wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I am trying to configure Samba master from a few days ago on a
> > CentOS
> > 8.5 system.
> >
> > I ran the bootstrap script and it only complained about lmdb-devel
> >
> > Then when I ran configure --enable-debug, I got this error:
> >
> > --------------------------------------
> > # ./configure --enable-debug
> > Setting top to                           : /root/src/samba-ad-
> > error-injection
> > Setting out to                           :
> > /root/src/samba-ad-error-injection/bin
> > Checking for 'gcc' (C compiler)          : Traceback (most recent
> > call last):
> >   File "/root/src/samba-ad-error-
> > injection/third_party/waf/waflib/Utils.py",
> > line 833, in wrap
> >     return cache[k]
> > KeyError: (<samba_waf18.ConfigurationContext object at
> > 0x7fb83837d8e0>,)
> >
> > During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:
> >
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "/root/src/samba-ad-error-
> > injection/third_party/waf/waflib/Utils.py",
> > line 833, in wrap
> >     return cache[k]
> > KeyError: (<samba_waf18.ConfigurationContext object at
> > 0x7fb83837d8e0>,)
> > ---------------------------------------
> >
> > In looking at the Python code it seems like there is an issue with
> > the
> > except KeyError clause in the code.
> >
> > Has anyone seen this issue before?
> >
> > Richard,
> >
> > Just checking if you managed to work it out?
>
> Yes, I did thank you. The bootstrap script had not actually run
> andall I had to do from memory was to remove lmdb-devel from the list
> ofRPMs installed.
> It was confusing at first because I first built it on one of
> ourstandard build VMs and did not have to run the bootstrap script.

We really should fix that error handling.  It is in waf, I wonder if a
newer version handles it better?  Otherwise we should tell upstream.
See also:https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1011163
Which might be unrelated (mjt assures me it is) but better error
handling would reduce head scratching.
Andrew,

--
Andrew Bartlett (he/him)       https://samba.org/~abartlet/Samba Team Member (since 2001) https://samba.orgSamba Team Lead                https://catalyst.net.nz/services/sambaCatalyst.Net Ltd
Proudly developing Samba for Catalyst.Net Ltd - a Catalyst IT group