Questions regarding vfs module development

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Jun 8 18:07:36 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jun 08, 2016 at 11:37:04AM -0600, Trever L. Adams wrote:
> I am looking at https://github.com/fumiyas/samba-virusfilter. I am
> interested in this for my own use and would love to help update it. I
> have a few questions. Of course, all the work I am doing, I hope to get
> committed to the authors tree.
>
> 1) Is it okay to use basename and dirname (POSIX.1-2001, POSIX.1-2008)
> in vfs modules or does there need to be ifdefs/autoconf/waf magic
> involved? If it is not okay, are there functions that do similar in samba?

Don't use basename/dirname. Inside smbd use parent_dirname() instead, which
does a combination of basename/dirname.

> 2) This product actually currently has 3 vfs modules (vfs-svf-*). One
> each for clamav, sophos and f-secure. For the most part they share all
> of the same options, etc. I have already mostly finished the manpage for
> clamav. Do the manpages need to be separate for each module, or is there
> a way it would be acceptable to the Samba team to have just one with
> most of the options being generic (svf-* instead of svf-clamav for example)?

Hmmm. If you're contributing upstream I think we need a
separate man page per module. Don't forget to send in
the contributors agreement:

https://www.samba.org/samba/devel/copyright-policy.html

> At the URL above there is a TODO in the readme. Currently I have
> untested (not even a compile test) of the "Extend quarantine options"
> section and "Support 'rename' action" section. As said, I have started
> with the manpages.
>
> I have never done any development with Samba before, so I am quite
> uncertain of many things.
>
> Thank you for any pointers on getting started and safely testing things,

No problem, thanks for helping us work on Samba !