Name Change for Samba4? [Re: What is blocking a Samba4 Tech Preview?]

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Fri Dec 23 09:19:04 GMT 2005

Volker,

 > I just wanted to point out a different metric about the user-visible changes.
 > Lines of code is one, number of changed, added or removed parameters is
 > another. And 'valid users' is just a quite prominent example I think.

quite true, but the major number of Samba (and many other software
packages) is reserved for 'big, user-visible changes'. That's why we
are calling it Samba 4.0 not Samba 3.1. The first digit changing means
"beware! big changes have happened!".

While developing Samba4 we have removed many of the smb.conf options
in Samba 3.x. This isn't because we don't want those options in Samba
4.0, it is just because the underlying region of code that implements
those options has dissappeared, so the option disappeared with it. One
of the things we need to do for the 4.0 release is to make a list of
what options have been removed and decide on a case by case basis if
the option should be re-implemented or discarded.

Personally I think that 'valid users' should be kept, but I will be
interested in hearing from Simo on that. Perhaps he can convince me it
should not be re-implemented.

Cheers, Tridge