Name Change for Samba4? [Re: What is blocking a Samba4 Tech Preview?]

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Dec 23 08:15:21 GMT 2005

On Fri, Dec 23, 2005 at 06:46:36PM +1100, tridge at samba.org wrote:

> I think you may be mis-remembering, Samba 1.0 had a total of 2481
> lines of code. There is a _lot_ more code common between Samba 3.0 and
> Samba 4.0 than there was between Samba 1.0 and Samba 2.0 (both in
> percentage and absolute terms)

I must confess I haven't looked, so I defer to anyone who has :-).

> I suspect the real reason you are inclined to suggest a new package
> name is that you want to continue work on Samba 3.x and you don't want
> Samba 4.0 "getting in the way" of that. I can understand that. On the
> other hand, I consider Samba 4.0 to be the natural next step for
> Samba, and I certainly don't consider it to be a "new project"
> requiring a new name.

I do want to continue on Samba3 for a while at least, but I don't
think Samba4 would get in the way. I don't think Samba4 is a new
project and doesn't require a new name - I'm concerned about
the packaging names in distributions - that's all.

> The idea of calling it "Samba4 1.0" is a non-starter. That would be a
> really confusing version number system, particularly for future
> versions.

Yes I agree - that's not a workable name.

> What the Linux distros do is up to them. In the case of apache many
> distros have a separate "apache" and "apache2" package, and that
> certainly makes life a lot easier for administrators who want to
> specifically use one or the other. I would not be surprised if the
> distros do something very similar with Samba 3.x and Samba 4.x. I
> don't think we should force this on them though, and I think that when
> Samba 4.0 is eventually release it should be called samba-4.0.tar.gz
> on the samba.org download, just like our previous major releases.

Yep - I never imagined anything else. I'm mainly concerned about
people currently doing an rpm -U xxx and finding their installation
doesn't work in the way they expect. As Samba4 gets more complete
this problem will go away.

Jeremy