Name Change for Samba4? [Re: What is blocking a Samba4 Tech Preview?]

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Dec 23 07:11:49 GMT 2005

On Fri, Dec 23, 2005 at 05:12:47PM +1100, tridge at samba.org wrote:
> Jeremy,
>
> While I don't really mind what its called in Debian, I definately
> don't want to have Samba4 1.0, Samba4 2.0 etc etc. That is just
> silly.
>
> The idea was that Samba4 would be Samba 4.0 just as Samba3 was Samba
> 3.0. In every major release of Samba we have broken some features and
> added others. We do need to put more effort into making Samba 4.0
> upgrades easier, but that does not mean we need to change the basic
> Samba name.

The trouble is that Samba4 is different in more than just a code
evolution, as 2.0 was different from 1.0. It's a complete rewrite
will little original code left. It's still Samba, but scientific
classification terms it's the same family, but a different genus.
That's why IMHO it makes sense for the pacakge name to be different.

Jeremy