Name Change for Samba4? [Re: What is blocking a Samba4 Tech Preview?]

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Fri Dec 23 06:12:47 GMT 2005

Jeremy,

While I don't really mind what its called in Debian, I definately
don't want to have Samba4 1.0, Samba4 2.0 etc etc. That is just
silly.

The idea was that Samba4 would be Samba 4.0 just as Samba3 was Samba
3.0. In every major release of Samba we have broken some features and
added others. We do need to put more effort into making Samba 4.0
upgrades easier, but that does not mean we need to change the basic
Samba name.

Cheers, Tridge