What is blocking a Samba4 Tech Preview?

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Mon Dec 19 11:32:53 GMT 2005

On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 02:55:58AM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote about 'Re: What is blocking a Samba4 Tech Preview?':
> On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 10:06:55PM +0100, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> > > If we can get some of this code out into the hands of users, we might
> > > get the interest and developers we so desperately need, but doing
> > > 'nothing' (ie continuing development) isn't going to move us.
> > Certainly! The Debian packages of Samba4 are a bit more sane now,
> > after a couple of patches from Steinar Gunderson (Sesse for those on
> > IRC), so I hope we can get some Samba4 packages in Debians
> > experimental as well.
> What is the (eventual) upgrade path from samba3 to samba4 going to look
> like?
There currently is an upgrade script that reads in a Samba3 smb.conf
file and the various Samba3 TDB files and writes out the appropriate
Samba4 data files. I guess you'd be using these in upgrades.

> I would like to see samba4 packages in experimental at some point,
> but I'm not really happy with the idea of renamed packages; it seems to me
> this will just make it more difficult for us to support upgrades from these
> packages once samba4 is released.
Do you mean the fact that the packages are prefixed by 'samba4' rather
then 'samba' or other things as well? So far, I've been trying to keep
the package names distinct from the official ones, since if I'd messed
up things with version numbers, people wouldn't have been able to
upgrade from my packages to more recent official ones.

Cheers,

Jelmer

--
Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at samba.org> - http://jelmer.vernstok.nl/