What is blocking a Samba4 Tech Preview?

Steve Langasek vorlon at debian.org
Mon Dec 19 10:55:58 GMT 2005

On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 10:06:55PM +0100, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> > If we can get some of this code out into the hands of users, we might
> > get the interest and developers we so desperately need, but doing
> > 'nothing' (ie continuing development) isn't going to move us.
> Certainly! The Debian packages of Samba4 are a bit more sane now,
> after a couple of patches from Steinar Gunderson (Sesse for those on
> IRC), so I hope we can get some Samba4 packages in Debians
> experimental as well.

What is the (eventual) upgrade path from samba3 to samba4 going to look
like?  I would like to see samba4 packages in experimental at some point,
but I'm not really happy with the idea of renamed packages; it seems to me
this will just make it more difficult for us to support upgrades from these
packages once samba4 is released.

Cheers,
vorlon at debian.org                                   http://www.debian.org/