Apple OS X SMB issues across VPN

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Tue Dec 13 23:17:46 GMT 2005

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 01:17:13PM -0700, Dan Tappin wrote:
> Just an update.  I have managed to resolve a few issues.  I think I
> am back to a samba issue though.
>
> ISP Issues:
>
> I had an unknown duplex issue with my ISP.  I have 10-half at the VPN
> site and 10-full here.

Cool.  That's one down.  :)

> SMB Issues:
>
> I have run a few tests and I can get ~ 6MB/s to both my Xserve and my
> test RH SMB servers on the local LAN.  I have played with all the
> smb.conf options and there does not seem to be any difference at
> least for the smbclient.  I need to run real world performance tests
> on my varies local Windows clients (98, 2K and XP).
>
> The VPN smbclient transfers are another story.  I can only manage ~
> 150 kB/s.  This is from the RH server at that location via
> smbclient.  A wget transfer can get 400+ kB/s via http.  It's not
> apples to apples but a good indiaction that something is not right on
> the samba side.

Not necessarily.  HTTP is less susceptible to latency issues than SMB.
It would be good to test the same clients against a Windows server over
the same connection to see if Windows is any faster.  If not, then it's
time to look more closely at those packets again.

Sorry I haven't had time for that.  Life has gotten in the way.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org