Apple OS X SMB issues across VPN

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Thu Dec 1 16:58:29 GMT 2005

On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 09:42:33AM -0700, Dan Tappin wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> I'm back...
>
> I have my test RH 7 server up and running on the local LAN ready to
> test across the VPN.  One issue though:
>
> [root at localhost admin]# tcpdump -i eth0 -s0 -w capture.cap host
> 192.168.0.150 and 192.168.2.46
> tcpdump: invalid snaplen 0
>
> -s1 seems to work but not sure if this effects the data.

The snap length (set via -s) determines how many bytes worth of each
packet is actually captured.  A snaplen setting of zero is *supposed* to
mean "all of it".  That is, it's supposed to tell tcpdump that it should
write each packet in its entirety to the capture file.

I've used some older versions of tcpdump that don't accept a zero value
for that parameter, so I figure that's the problem you've got.  The
work-around is to use a value like 2000, which is larger than the maximum
size of an Ethernet frame (assuming you're not using jumbo frames).

Lemme know if that works.  :)

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org