Copied file vanishes when client is OS X

Benjamin Riefenstahl Benjamin.Riefenstahl at epost.de
Wed Nov 26 14:42:35 GMT 2003

Hi Ed,

Ed Holden <eholden at mclean.harvard.edu> writes:
> It can!  If I run that tool on the bad version of the file it gets
> there fine.  So the problem is happening when I do a copy operation
> on the version of the file that lacks info in GetFileInfo, but only
> when I do it via the GUI.  Wow, that's pretty specific.

Ok, so it's not a permissions or configuration problem on the server
side, it seems.  There is some difference between what CpMac does and
what the Finder does.  Maybe you could set a higher debug level on the
Samba server and work out what is actually different between those two
from the log files.

OTOH, I yesterday tested the same configuration with my Mac OS X
10.2.8 and Samba 2.2.8 on Linux/PPC and I could not reproduce your
problem.  I didn't have exactly your file, but used a PDF I had.  I
tested with and without type and creator.  So maybe just updating the
Samba server may work for you.

benny