VFS event hooks in Linux

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Mon Jul 5 12:48:44 GMT 1999

On Wed, 30 Jun 1999, Richard Gooch wrote:
> I'm talking from a slightly selfish point of view here... I would like to
> be able to implement on-access scanning of samba shares.. For that I need
> to know whenever a file is created, opened and/or closed. This would be a
> hook implemented into samba itself or into the kernel ? This will happen
> on the file-serving machine.

	That sounds like something you'd implement with Tim Potter's
	VFS, by writing an "interposer" to look at the calls of interest
	on the share, and do some action on the Samba server...

	This, of course, is somewhat more general than the notifications
	possible via the SMB protocols...

--dave
Willowdale, Ontario   | http://java.science.yorku.ca/~davecb
Work: (905) 477-0437 Home: (416) 223-8968 Email: davecb at canada.sun.com