smbclient and -s option

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Mon Jan 25 04:39:03 GMT 1999

Hi folks,

smbclient has a -s <conf file> option.

The documentation says says it specifies the path name to the Samba
configuration file, blah blah blah.

It is a lie! In fact, I don't think it has worked for a long time :-)

smbclient loads the config file well before the command line arguments are
parsed, and the argument parsing code as it stands at the moment precludes
moving  the lp_load(servicesf, ...) statement elsewhere, as the current
arrangement allows the user to override information in the config file.

I can only think of three ways to resolve this:

1. Remove the lie from the documentation and the usage page for smbclient.

2. Prescan the command line arguments looking for -s.  This may be
   easy.  Two command parsing loops.

3. Recode the command line parsing code to allow them to capture values,
   then call lp_load, then override. This is going to be harder.

Can anyone else comment?

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, NIC-Handle:RJS96
NS Computer Software and Services P/L,
Ph: +61-8-8281-0063, FAX: +61-8-8250-2080,
Samba (Team member), Linux, Apache, Digital UNIX, AIX, C, ...