Solution to my own problem (hacked together) use if looks good to

Andrew Tridgell tridge at samba.org
Mon Jan 25 01:25:09 GMT 1999

> The problem occurs when the local IP changes, because of a dhcpcd update.

Samba doesn't handle that at the moment. To handle it properly would
be quite tricky because all the netbios names would need to be
un-registred then re-registered with the new address.

hmmm, could we even un-register properly? A secure WINS server will
reject the un-register from the new IP (or at least will time out
waiting for a confirmation from the old IP) and we can't register our
new names until the old ones are un-registered. Messy.

If Samba got a 10 second warning then it would be easier, but still
tricky. I think this sort of functionality is sufficiently rarely
needed and tricky enough that we just put it in the too hard
basket. Stopping/starting all network daemons makes more sense.

> I'm kinda confused--last I checked, we were forced to give the netmask in
> the interface.

if you leave out the interfaces line completely then Samba will try to
query the OS to find the primary interface, netmask etc.

If you use a interfaces line then you need to give full info.

> That's what I'm running, for example, for the Linux machine in the middle of
> the Proxy ARP Subnet I have setup here.  (Proxy ARP, by the way, works
> wonderfully except that I haven't yet found a way to allow the machines on
> the 194 subnet to share broadcasts with computers on the 98 subnet.  That
> means no network neighborhood for the 194 machines.  Any suggestions?)

use a WINS server (Samba can do that for you), that way broadcasts
don't matter nearly so much.

> Does what you refer to happen if you neglect to write the subnet?

if you leave off the mask then Samba will use a default mask (the
class mask). You could consider this a bug, Samba should really call
the code that works out a mask given IP by querying the OS on a raw
socket.

> As far as I know, Samba doesn't automatically restart its daemons if
> smb.conf changes.  Maybe it should.

right now it does look for date changes in the config files and
reloads many things, but it doesn't do a total reload. The internal
structures of Samba make it hard to do a total reload (think about
live connections, open sockets etc).