Dell Truemobile 1150 "Ad Hoc Demo Mode" and other things...

Jim Carter jimc at math.ucla.edu
Thu Mar 24 00:30:51 GMT 2005

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, Claudio Lavecchia wrote:

> I am getting crazy trying to establish a ad hoc network among my ipaqs that
> use Dell Truemobile 1150 WLAN adapters.

Wvlan_cs is obsolete.  I'd try another driver.  I have a Dell Inspiron 4100
with a Dell Truemobile 1150 (Orinoco) mini-PCI card in it, and I've had
very good results with the Orinoco driver suite.  Formerly I tried an
Ad-Hoc (not demo) network where the partner was a Linksys Prism-II card,
which Orinoco also supports.  I had so much trouble and wierd behavior,
mostly blamed on the Prism-II, that I broke down and bought an access
point, and since then I've had no problems with the Dell 1150 NIC.

There's been a lot of effort put into making Orinoco work well on ARM-tye
machines, which I assume the HP iPaq is.

People also mention hostap as a good general purpose driver (in addition to
the access point emulation), but I've never used it.

James F. Carter          Voice 310 825 2897    FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet;  6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA  90095-1555
Email: jimc at math.ucla.edu    http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc (q.v. for PGP key)