Is it possible

Jim Carter jimc at math.ucla.edu
Wed Sep 8 22:36:41 GMT 2004

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004, jamie.ericson wrote:

> I have a Netcomm NB5580W Wireless ADSL modem gateway router which is
> 802.11g, it is connected to a PC via Cat5 cable, the wireless is running
> in infrastructure mode.  I also have a DLink 900ap+ wireless router that
> is 802.11b.  Is it possible to connect a pc (which doesn't have a
> wireless card) to the DLink router and enable it to ultimately connect to
> the PC which is wired to the Netcomm wireless router?

Yes, it certainly can be done.  But there are several ways to set it up
(bridging, vs. separate subnets), and you need to make sure the wireless
link is cooperating.  Be prepared to learn more than you wanted to about
routing, Ethernet-type protocols (802.whatever), and wireless (802.11*) in
particular.

If you can find a local person with experience, that would really help you.
Unfortunately I don't have a good web link to offer, giving a tutorial on
networking, but I'm sure there's something useful somewhere on the web.

Most 802.11g devices can also do 802.11b.

Good luck!

James F. Carter          Voice 310 825 2897    FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet;  6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA  90095-1555
Email: jimc at math.ucla.edu    http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc (q.v. for PGP key)