Good source of 2.4GHz directional antenna?

Craig Mead craig.mead at pagesmith.com.au
Wed May 28 08:56:36 EST 2003

> Hi Again,
>
> Thanks for responses to my last message!
> I'm on to my next challenge, and would love a few tips...
>
> Does any one know a good source for highly directional antennas/dishes in
> Australia - or even better - in the A.C.T. region? I've been trying to
hunt
> down galaxy dishes, but so far haven't found anything ...

www.austwireless.com

They are a Sydney based company, but ship anywhere in Australia.

> I'm looking for something cheap I'd even MAKE it so long as it's simple,
quick
> to build, and robust/weatherproof. BUT I'd probably prefer to buy
something if
> it is reasonably priced - I'm really busy at the moment.

For a great directional antenna, for a great price, in my opinion you can't
go past a Vagi.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q346528B4

> I'd like to build a link which could be either 2 or 6 km, I'd be happy to
use
> two different types if need be. What sort of gain do you think I'd need?
16 -
> 24 dbi? less? The smaller the antenna the better, but obviously beggars
cant be
> choosers! - ideally I would like to be able to temporarily mount it on my
car
> or a ute... (but this is something I can worry about later)

Vagi to Vagi would do this distance easily, as long as you had the correct
fresnel zones etc.