Info on an 800m link with 2 x DLink AP-900+

Tim Smith tim at albanyis.com.au
Mon May 26 11:08:45 EST 2003

Hi
I have just completed a 802.11 link for a customer of mine, it is over a
distance of 6.4 kms, it has line of site, I used 18db yagi's from RFI and 2
linksys WAP11's. I initally locked the rate down to 2mbit but have since
allowed it to auto rollback from 11mbit. The reason for the link was to
extend a ADSL service to a unserviced area, I have checked the available
bandwidth at the ADSL box and at the end of the link and there is no
apparent diference. I have to say that i was quite chuffed at the
performance and the painless setup of the link over that distance!
To cut a long story short from my experiance here i would think that you
should be able to let the ap900's run at full speed, the only catch may be
as someone else suggested, the other 2.4Ghz stuff operating nearby efectivly
reducing the signal to noise ratio and therfore the available
bandwidth/speed
Crank it up and see what happens?????

regards
Tim