PCI wireless cards

Philip Heron dragonsfire at lineone.net
Mon May 5 21:09:50 EST 2003

Hi Martin,

On Mon, 2003-05-05 at 02:23, Martin Pot wrote:
> Hi Philip.
>
> Philip Heron wrote:
> > I've been trying to get a PCI->PCMCIA adapter going for the past few
> > days, not having much luck! The motherboard (PC-Chips with a Cyrix
> > CPU, icky stuff) isn't playing nice with the IRQ's. The adapter is
> > detected, but the orinico driver isn't getting an interrupt, seems to
> > be a fairly common problem from what I've read.
>
> What Linux distro are you using?
>
> What sort of PCMCIA cradle is it?  Does it have a Ricoh chipset?
> If so, you should definitely be able to get it working under Linux.
>
> Apparently the Ricoh chipset cradles require a PCI2.2 compliant bus, but
> I've had them working in several PCs with PCI2.1 buses, running RedHat 7.3.
>
> It did require some hacking around with lilo append strings, and in one
> case, I had to reserve an IO range (but that was only when I put two cards
> into the PC).
> See these URLs for more info:
> http://martybugs.net/wireless/ppro.cgi
> http://martybugs.net/wireless/optiplex.cgi

The system in question is running a small Linux From Scratch system,
with an unmodified 2.4.20 kernel. I'm using the kernel's pcmcia drivers
and the cradle's chipset is Ricoh.

I tried the kernel option "pci=biosirq" before (your site came up a lot
while googling :) but the kernel crashs when it tries to probe the PCI
bus. Which is a shame, because the problem seems to be identical to what
you had.

I've had the very same cradle working in an older machine (Pentium 133),
so the card seems to have no problem with a PCI2.1 bus.

> Cheers,
> Martin.

Later,
--