DWL-900AP+ Enternal Mounting

Peresztegi Laszlo / DomiNet laszlo.peresztegi at dominet.hu
Mon Mar 24 20:09:59 EST 2003

Dear Akash,

I have read your mail with some notes, since here in Budapest,
Hungary we are also using Dlink DWL900AP+ for clients.

We have a network at a nearby place to Budapest where no other
wireless internet service providers exist and we also use
the equipment tide to rooftops (indoor) and use 6 dBi sector
panel antennas outdoor. Today we have cca 20 customers in
this region.

I found that DLINK DWL900AP+ (firmware 2.5) is absolutely
unusable as an access point. Here I have the same sens
that when acting as an AP it drops the connection for several
time, for 2 to 15 minutes each day. (I comment this as a
serious firmware bug!). When using DLINK DWL900AP+ with other
access points, such as the SMC brand - everything works fine.

Basic results were that DLINK is really a good and cheap
hardware to use at client sites, but *not* as an AP! DLINK
DWL900AP+ does not have the possibility to roam using channel
shifting - so that it would change channel when channel is
busy, that means it should only be used at places where no
other frequency shifting wireless internet service providers
exists.

Please keep me informing about outdoor tests with the DWL900AP+,
ill do the same...

regards,
laszlo peresztegi
budapest, hungary.