differenciating APs from a computer

Kim Hawtin kim at freesolutions.net
Thu Mar 13 12:07:33 EST 2003

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 02:45:33PM -0600, Jerry Henderson wrote:
> The Aps and computer have unique MAC hardware addresses. Why don't you use
> them to distinguish the source of frames?

this is a valid point, you could indeed by using iptables or maybe even
netfilter transperant proxy traffic from the three APs to a different
port and have three dhcpd servers running...

have a look at these docs to get a better idea of where to start;

- Linux Advanced Routing & Traffic Control
  http://lartc.org/

- Linux 2.4 Packet Filtering HOWTO
  http://www.netfilter.org/unreliable-guides/packet-filtering-HOWTO/

- HOWTO: Transparent Packet Filtering with OpenBSD
  http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200207/transpfobsd.html

- Linux 2.4 NAT HOWTO
  http://www.netfilter.org/unreliable-guides/NAT-HOWTO/NAT-HOWTO.linuxdoc.html

- Linux IP Masquerade HOWTO
  http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/

maybe source and destination NAT maybe a useful bit of background
reading, and also the IP Masq howto, esp. the FAQ section.

there are similar documents for other BSDs if thats your poison =)
anyone have links for those?

> I have a quetion, which could sound retarded, but I have a point:)
>
> i have three AP, in bridge mode connected to the same computer throught a
> hub. The computer has a dhcp server running. The clients get their IP
> adresses from
> this dhcp server.
> Now, the question is: can I tell apart packets coming from different AP?
> and if so, how?
> In other words, I want to be able to distinguish  packets from clients
> associate to one AP or another, using only one network card...
> I think I cant, unless the AP in bridge mode uses his
> own MAC address, stripping the MAC of the client, but I am unsure how
> bridge mode works...
> All the AP have different essids
>
> Any thoughts? Thanks!

cheers,