keeping people off the net

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Fri Jan 31 17:34:04 EST 2003

On Friday, January 31, 2003, at 11:32 , Jim Carter wrote:

> I may have left an incomplete impression in my last post about keeping
> unauthorized people off a wireless net.

> [FreeS/WAN scheme described]

> Is it overkill?
> Or is it prudent to get encryption that actually works?

I'm all for setting things up with proper security.

http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/wireless/2001-December/000604.html

In that suggestion, I had avoided using IPSec because of the complexity
at the time (there were easier options).  These days we use OpenVPN -
which is a little easier to use than PPTP (I could never figure out how
to get MPPE working properly).

AFAIK, Mac OS X 10.2 has IPSec available, so there's more incentive for
me to learn how to set up IPSec properly (FreeS/WAN more specifically).